21 October 2008

Big Wednesday

The big day is tomorrow. Coincidentally my #1 cochlear contact is having his second implant the same day [Me - RPAH, he - Westmead]. There's too many coincidences in this exercise.

How do I feel about it?
After so many operations and treatments over the past six years I'm prepared, not worried. I hope that the result is as good as many say it is. I mean many. Not looking forward to the prolonged recovery and acclimatisation ahead. Boredom will inevitably set-in, I'll be ready for 'switch-on' in three weeks or so. And I hope I can hear something, but there's no guarantees.

On TV a couple of weeks ago I saw on 'Talking Heads' an interview with the cochlear pioneer Prof Graeme Clark. Impressed with his humility but also his drive to achieve "perfect hearing" for implantees. I emailed him as soon as the program finished.
Transcript here

No comments:

Post a Comment