01 December 2009

I Can Hardly Believe it!

Today I read Kate Locke's blog entry about her recent trip on a plane. She tried the plane headphones to see if the audio loop worked. Guess what? Thats right!

Later, I thought "I wonder..."
[You can see where this is going can't you?]

I tried the headphones I sometimes use when using Skype, and they worked. Well, on the side with the implant anyway.
Keep in mind this is a device which is primarily designed for speech and is not really anything to write home about in a musical sense. But it worked.
Then I thought "hmmmm..."

I tried the iPhone headset and had a similar outcome. Sound. Not pure unadulterated sound but sound nonetheless.

More developments as they come to hand, or ear, or brain.



5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/12/09 07:12

    wow, I am so glad my blog entry prompted you to check your headphones! Who would have thought that most headphones would have a telecoil built in! It's amazing isnt it?
    Happy hearing!
    Cheers,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/12/09 07:18

    John: Do you have an AB, MedEl, or Nuke CI?

    If you have an AB, is charge steering ("Fidelity 120") enabled?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey FoxNews
    Mine's a Cochlear Freedom - don't know those models you mentioned - and it is with the telecoil setting 'on'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate
    For now I'll be trying as many as I can test - see which do or don't work.
    For a while I was trying this, that and the other phone to see if they had telecoils. amazingly most do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since the telecoil experiment I have bought a iPhone -> cochlear cable [standard miniplug] at breathtaking cost.
    Now, I'm practising hearing with iTunes thru my Phone, then cochlear. Training myself up.

    ReplyDelete