07 December 2009

Hearing Diary

I'm keeping a diary of sounds as I can hear them
Dec 2009
Listening to my iPhone via the direct to processor cable <link>
December 2009
There must be something about this summer and the lessening of the drought. The cicadas are deafening. When I could hear naturally they could make a sound, en masse, which was like a pneumatic drill being applied to your skull!
Now it's like they're bypassing the skull, going straight for the auditory nerve!! I have to scuttle inside or turn off the apparatus!
12-23 Feb
In Byron Bay, we stay at the Clarke's Beach caravan park. It's on the edge of Byron town and also a long swathe of bush along the glorious Tallow beach.
This means there are birds galore [butcher birds, currawongs] and lizards [water dragons and at least one GOANNA]. There's also crashing
surf 24 hours a day and wind - the Pacific Ocean is RIGHT there.
Needless to say there's a movie [link],
forgive the background noise, I think it's worth it.

8 Feb
More frogs. At Mother's for dinner and I heard the 'clock' sound. I remember when I was in treatment [and staying there] I was often woken by the cacophony of frogs in full voice. Sounded like hundreds of them then.
29 Jan
I was walking down the street, a couple of doors down and I heard the "clock" sound of a frog in someone's front yard - I think they have a little fountain. The nearest creekbed would have been half a kilometre [thats a lot in frog kilometres] away. Ho do frogs know? Can they smell water?
Meanwhile the golden crescent moon hung low in the western sky. That was the appropriate end of that day.

11 Jan
More Higgledy-Piggledy bird action. Those butcher birds love to get together and have a sing-song. movie
2008
23 Dec
We went to a movie. I used the telecoil to tune-in to the cinema's sound system. I could make out 70% of what the actors said. With practice I can see it getting better!
[Burn After Reading, Joel and Ethan Coen, we thought the cast of GClooney, J Malkovitch, FMcDormand, BPitt was fantastic and the film hilarious!]

17 Dec
Screeching cockatoos sound like screeching cockatoos. I hear they have a baby or two in the tree hollow - wouldnt it be good if I could hear that?!
11 Dec
I could hear something - a voice. Was it coming from next door? It was over there, just beyond the armchair. I could hear a womans voice but I couldnt make out what she was saying. Was the sound coming from somewhere or being generated via radio signals direct to the implant? I listened more. It was chilling.
I called my hearing consultant, she could hear it coming from the computer. I listened. That was a relief.

5 Dec
Today I heard cockatoos screeching as they flew over. There's a dead tree that has a hole in it in the park. Often there is a single cockie sitting in there looking out. Whistling is starting to sound like whistling.
29 Nov
Today I heard the famed higgledy-piggledy birds - that deserves its own page [link]
21 Nov
Spoke on the telephone and heard what my father had to say - he had to speak clearer than usual but it happened!
20 Nov
Spoke on the telephone and almost heard what my father had to say - still buzzy!
Attempted to hear the butcher birds which were [apparently] in the park. Could not.

19 Nov
Wednesday
Met a cochlear contact at the noisiest cafe in Sydney and lived to tell the tale! We spoke at length over coffee and cake and gave the implants a good work-out. Head still spinning!

17 Nov
Monday
Speech-reading [lip-reading] class - having the implant actually helped, because I knew what the instructions were from the teacher -
before I had to lip-read those TOO!
Everyone still sounds like they're using helium.

16 Nov
WENT TO A MOVIE and used the T switch on the speech processor [telecoil] - I can hear at the cinema but couldn't understand - they were speaking french after all! Luckily there were sub-titles as a matter-of-course I called some friends using VOIP [headset, no telecoil], sounded like they were talking thru a towel [why do people do that?]
14 Nov
Went to town - the bus was very loud
I heard the Checkout Chick at Coles!
Can't hear usefully on the phone - tried an iPhone in town. I can hear the voice but not the intonation - sounds mechanical
I heard rain [saw lightning, but didn't hear thunder]
Heard the Qantas A380 taking-off over Leichhardt.

13 Nov
Attempted to hear Higgledy-Piggledybirds, perhaps too high-pitched
Cant hear myself whistling.
Couple of women talking - they talk at the same time!

12 Nov
Lisa Simpson voices
Noise at the Rowers'
Aeroplane
Birds sound like a ratchet
Tinnitus: Women humming, otherwise smothered by implant





2 comments:

  1. Great blog! I hope you'll consider adding it to the aggregator at Deaf Village (www.deafvillage.com) -- we'd love to have you as part of our community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curse of Silence has been registered on the Deaf Village site
    www.deafvillage.com

    JC

    ReplyDelete