05 September 2008

Cochlear Assessment

Today I had the assessment to see if I am a candidate for a cochlear implant.
The procedure went like this. The cochDoc inserted an electrode directly into each inner ear one-at-a-time and stimulated each one. Amazingly I could hear the sounds generated, mostly sounding like crickets or frogs and I had to say when the volume was increased/decreased, and rhythm within the sounds.

When he stimulated the left ear it induced a sense of dizziness, apparently that means my balance centre-the labyrinth is intact.Therefore, they will leave this side and implant the right side.

Waiting time? Seven months.

What can I do? I need to be able to hear what you say [make it interesting], and the higgledy-piggledy birds and function as a [relatively] normal human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment