13 January 2010

Bouquets and Buckets

I received word from the deafness forum that a group of DVD distributors - AVSDA - have committed to  provide greater access in the form of captions and audio description.
Media Release here

The positive action is to be applauded. However the inaction by at least one DVD distributor [21st century] is not. I wrote a letter which appears below. Let's see what response there might be [if any].

Captions on DVDs

Dear Sir

Recently I was advised that the Australian Visual Software Distributors Association (AVSDA) made a commitment to make available greater access for deaf people.

Here’s my message to them

This is a message to the members of AVSDA who have made a commitment to make available greater access to audio description and captioning in theatrical films released on DVDs.

I know many of my deaf colleagues will be very happy about this. Too often we hire DVDs at the video shop only to find when we come to view the recording that captions are not available. Waste of money and very frustrating to say the least.

So thank you from me, one voice among many - I will be advising my "usual contacts" about the terrific gesture.



John Couani



The group includes your competitors, namely
Disney Studios Home Entertainment,
Hopscotch Entertainment,
Madman Entertainment,
Paramount Home Entertainment,
Roadshow Entertainment,
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment,
Twentieth-Century Fox Home Entertainment,
Universal Pictures Video and
Warner Home Video.

I understand that 21st Century pictures was notably absent from the list. As an avid DVD viewer this is a regrettable situation – I will now no longer be able to view DVDs from your catalogue.

So – I’d be interested to know why you have not undertaken to commit to greater facility for deaf people. Such inaction is regrettable in this 21st century. I consider it discriminatory. I’d also be interested to know what the filmmakers, who create your material for distribution, think about your inaction.

I look forward to your response



No comments:

Post a Comment