23 October 2008

Date with Destiny

The twenty-second of October 2008 will go down in history as the date I received my Cochlear Implant.
The operation apparently went for four hours, under ten minutes from my perspective. I remember being in the ante-chamber with the anaesthetist [anaesthesiologist to the americans] then being wheeled into the operating room [O.R. to the americans]. They had given me some injections via one of those easy-injectorisers in my poor hand. Then I woke up somewhat groggy in another room. 
I had a pillow tied to the side of my head. And it ached.
My mouth was VERY dry [remember, no saliva] after not drinking since 10pm the previous [tuesday] night [3pm wednesday by now].
The rest of the day was spent drifting in and out of restless, not even, slumber. More like re-unconsciousness. Not restful.
In and out of sleep until 2:30 thursday, got up walked around the darkened ward, back to bed, repeat every hour or so until 6am when they get EVERYBODY up. Get OUT!

So, they'd damaged my right tonsil [yes I still have them] forcing a tube down my throat [hurts, and blood too] but generally a neat job. Can't get anything wet ear-wise for at least 2 weeks and I'm on antibiotics and paracetamol for the not very much pain [considering].

Right now 9pm thursday - it's a bleak nite outside. Just had some family over for dinner. Right of my head aches. Tired.
Let's hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment